For one of the techniques in our technique class this month, I am bringing back an old favourite – Faux Mother of Pearl. Last time I played with this technique, I used Shimmer Paint for the effect. This product has been retired for a number of years, so when Wink of Stella appeared in the Catalogue, I started to think about how it could be used as a replacement for Shimmer Paint to create Faux Mother of Pearl. It worked perfectly. Check out the great cards below to see the stunning effect. I also have a video to show you how easy it is to create these great effects.
- Pour a very small amount of Clear Wink of Stella onto an acrylic block.
- Lightly soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and dab it into the Wink of Stella.
- Pounce the cotton ball onto a piece of Glossy White cardstock – do not rub.
- When it is dry, sponge light colours all over to create a Mother of Pearl look.
- Stamp image and sentiment from Heartfelt Blooms. Take care not to smudge the stamping as the glossy cardstock is very slippery.
- Card 1 uses Smoky Slate and Soft Sky inks for the sponging, Pool Party and Island Indigo cardstock and Island Indigo ink.
- Card 2 uses Smoky Slate and Powder Pink inks for the sponging, Perfect Plum and Elegant Eggplant cardstock and Elegant Eggplant ink.
Check out my video for a more visual effect.