Another forgotten technique that was demonstrated very well last Saturday at the Stampin’ Up! Regional Heartfelt Event in Brisbane was using watercolour crayons. Kim Gavarra gave us lots of handy ways to use the crayons.
I have not used them for years, so my first attempt this week was on a very small project. I coloured the solid flower image from Watercolor Winter directly with a Real Red crayon. After finely misting it with water, I stamped it on watercolour paper. To accentuate the effect, I then took the matching outline image and stamped it over the crayon with Stazon Jet Black. Using the same techniques, I added some holly and berries with Glorious Green [retired] and Real Red.
To complete my card, I stamped the holly and berry image with Versamark on the front of a Real Red card base. The berries were then coloured in with a Versamarker to give them some depth. I then took a piece of Early Espresso Core’dinations which was a negative piece from a Labels Framelit, embossed it with the Woodgrain TIEF, sanded it to get a distressed look, and added it to the front of the card. The corners of the focal image on the watercolour paper were punched with the corner rounder punch, edged with the red crayon and added to the centre of the panel. Some small Basic Jewel Pearls were added to the middle of the flower, and touches of Dazzling Diamonds glitter added around the edges of the petals to give it a sparkle. A sentiment from Come to Bethlehem was stamped in Early Espresso on Very Vanilla, punched with the Word Window punch and adhered to the bottom corner of the woodgrain piece.
Here is a close up of the crayon work with the Versamarked berries in the background. You can see the little pearls and hint of Dazzling Diamonds around the edges of the petals.
I feel a little more confident about using the crayons now. After some more practice, I may just have to purchase one of the current sets.